Grocery Price Matching

Saturday, September 11, 2010

So this week was my first foray into price matching. Finally the paper sent me all the local grocery stores' flyers so I was able to compare and see what to buy. We're used to just buying what we want to eat, not worrying how much it cost, and not waiting to buy something that's on sale. I'm trying to change that. Now, instead of planning meals and purchasing food for them, I'm purchasing food and planning meals around that!

I must mention first that I finally purchased a Foodsaver machine. It is winging its way to me from Ebay as we speak. So for that reason, I felt comfortable buying extra of things, so they can be cut up and frozen for the fall. Now this week's goal is to locate and buy a used freezer for the garage to put all my frozen yummies in! Plus I have pulled my old dehydrator out and we'll see what yummies I can make with it!


Not all purchases are shown. We had already put some up and as you can see from the breads, we ate some as well.

2 cabbages ($3.12 for both)
2 lettuce ($1.38 for both)
2 cucumbers ($1 for both)
2 green peppers ($1 for both)
10 red/orange peppers ($10)
10 lbs apples ($6.90)
11 lbs tomatoes ($8.00)
2 pkgs bath tissue ($10)
20 bags Malt-o-meal cereals ($0.50 ea)
9 Good Life buttery spreads (all free!)
2 artisan breads (1 free, other discounted w/coupon)
4 Barilla pasta ($2.36 all 4)
Mixed nuts (clearance rack $2)
2 ice cream 1/2 gallons ($1.88 ea)


Note: Walmart would not price match on the chicken so I headed over to Sunfresh to pick up the original chicken deal there. Walmart also did not have the smaller bags of cereal so I bought those there as well.

(not all meat shown)
18 lbs chicken breasts ($.88 lb)
10+ lbs pork chops and pork stew meat (discounted prices)

This week's total: $96.07

It's not the low number I want it to be but this is lots more food than we'll eat in a week, might cover two weeks with lots frozen for later. I think I did pretty well! Yay for price matching!

0 comments:

Coupon Wisdom Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino